For starters, I need two kits for this one model, but since I have the Academy F16I Sufa, I need a single seater that will fit the CFTs. So, I ended up with 2 kits for one model! MUSIC STARTO.......I got a Sufa, I buy an F16CJ, URGH.......Zeus III.
Set back by another hundred bucks
First thing I have to do is to mix up the specific colours that I will need.
First part is to paint the conformal tanks.
Feathers coming in. Tamiya Masking film.
Masking went on for the feathers.
I tore up the front part in order to start on the painting of the falcons.
To make sure the tanks are easily assembled as the painting will be very complex later. I added 3 layers of Evergreen strips.
Test Fitting the CFTs to make sure the alignment is correct.
First up is to paint in the base for the beaks in black.
Then I have to do a mirror image of the white base on which I can paint the falcon. I cut up a 0.3mm Tamiya plastic card to the shape that I need and hold it in place and dusted the area in white.
All masks removed. Now I am ready to suffer!
Next thing I have to do is to put in the base for the eyes. Black on the white base.
Let the suffering begin....the fun part.
The Falcon after red, sepia, black, brown, white, yellow, orange, blue and greys......now its time to do the other side.
It is a challenge to make the other side in mirror image. I marked in the yellow then the browns etc in the similar sequence and I have done on the other side.
Lightning was painted in and a light sandpaper used to cover the falcon to prevent slipping, the outline outer glow is put in with low pressure.
Tried to make out as close as possible.Now the left side is ready for the outer glow as well as the lightning bolts.
The lightning marked in with Vallejo Ivory, 3 coats to make it solid. The start spark is paint in by hand. Airbrushed the centre and then touched up with hand painting again. Outer glow borders also sprayed in with sky blue. I sprayed matte Mr. Colour Clear over the falcons to protect them from masking later.
And I left the right wing tank tapes on as the Greek flag that flies across it, flies below those feathers. So, I left that part for later. Test fitting looks ok.
Some black wash was pinned in by using Tamiya black wash with a size Zero brush. This is to make sure the mesh looks llike a mesh with less reflectivity compared to the rest of the solid panels.
The fitting of the two halves are warped. So, some ribs needed to be cut off in order for the halves to fit nicely and they are done with CA glue.
In some pictures, I find that the planes tow along a travel pod. I looked up as Dimitris told me to, its made by Cobham and the model I wanted to match the photographs was the MXU486. I found only one manufacturer in this 1/32 scale. AMS. Problem is, its sold out all over the place. One guy on ebay can let us have it for US$12.99 but the shipping for this 20grams of resin is US$25.80....what????? I got fed up. So, I drew my own and then have it transferred into AutoCAD and then 3D printed 4 pcs for US$3 of printer toners. Yeah....eat your heart out sucker!
I painted the nozzle in ceramics and weathered on the inside and on the outside, I painted in Titanium Vallejo metals. Then I put in the AK Creams, Aluminum, Steel, Gold, Blue, Violet. So I get the metal base. All happy go lucky for my Pratt and Whitney F100-229 till I get a message from Dimitris that its wrong! OMG! The actual one is actually Carbon Fibre!
So I meshed it with my 1/35 Voyager Panther tank mesh. Black and smokes.
I over exposed this picture so that the details show up more clearly than it actually is.
Attaching to the bodywork. There are some fit issues. So, I used the Tamiya 2mm flexible vinyl tape as well and masking tape to protect the metal parts and started our liquid puttying and material removals to make the parts flush. I also drilled in the rivets using 0.4mm drill bits before the great demolition. Now the fun should begin soon.