Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More of Paris than meets tourists eyes

Have you seen the original Paris Stocks Exchange? This dome was the original exchange for the Paris Bourse. Still active today, just in front of a very old World Expo days market place made of the same wrought iron construction as the Eiffel Tower. Below is the twilight time in winter, about 4pm when this photo was taken at about 9 deg C. Windy day too. Suffering shark attacks from every cavity in the dressing....still must brave on to take good pictures.



When I had the only night out the second night, it was raining, but I did not fly 12 hours to be kept in my Grand Boulevard room...so, walked to Rue Rivoli, enroute, took a nice picture of the presidential palace. Slow shutter speed, so I lean hard my EOS onto a lamp post and too this 1/15 sec shot. Wet, wet, everywhere, even the camera was wet, had to hair dryer it back in my room.


Crossing the bridge over Rivoli, behind me is the Notre Dame and the building has my favourite coffee joint, I drink coffee here everytime I go to Paris, now, my 16th trip. Trick is, stand at the counter or bar, it cost 1.90 Euros, if you sit inside, it costs 2.60 and if you sit outside, it cost even more insanity for the albeit same cuppa....really no need to find out.

The old Parisian iron market. It has long been closed, but the structure is retained and is now a public park with lots of water fountains and of course bird droppings and inconsiderate dog pooh! Big Dalmatian and Great Dane variety is not rare here, on pile could weigh in easily more than a pound.


I take a lot of pictures of the Notre Dame, a work of architectural excellence even though it was build by hand, stones hewned from the mountains are brought to bear with artists working out the intricate details. Even though it has little resemblem to God, much of what is on it is mythology and satanic symbols, however, it still looked great from the stand point of man's creativity, not from God's stand point though.

For this shot, I ran across the bridge since the sun was heading up onto the eastern side. I like the low angle shadows of the early morning sun and the dark foreground shade. This shot is one of my fave.