Thursday, March 25, 2010

Russell Crowe part 2

This is part 2 of doing up a subject that is close to my heart Having visited the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth in the UK and inspired greatly by Lord Nelson and the battle of Trafalgar, I visited HMS Victory, which I had made a 1:700th scale model when I was a young lad at 10 with a GBP 0.80 model from Airfix. Now, that is 35 years ago.

Watching the movie is also a great inspiration to want to make this model as close as I can get to the real thing in the movie. I went to download a few photos online of this otherwise, quite a character.
The face at 70% where I ended early post after dotting in the unshaven beard stubs and toning down the pink of the cold cheeks. I find the temperature a bit too cold for the face.

A second look of the face, I find the contrast too strong and too cold. So, I set out to tone it down more.

Some of the reference photos I used. And now, I use the basis to tone the face to finally get the bottom look, now I am happy, i did up the hair, the ears and redefined the eyes and lips....
What is next is to paint in the folds and sewing seams with Sepia Ink and put the the light highlights for the blue coat and down toning of the purple shadows....gold touch to the epaulet and do up the laces....we should be completed with only the headrest remaining.