Monday, April 5, 2010

Caping Ramses

Having done the eyes the last time, I wasn't too satisfied as the eyes seemed a little bit more larger than life, the gripe that I spoke off the last time.

I downplayed the eyes by introducing the double eyelids. As above, but wasn't sure if the eyes are too big and I compared it with the photos and found that they are. So, I highlighted the lower lids to increase the squint....and finally I got what I wanted.

Next I turned to paint up the silk cape head dress, I mixed some Vallejo Air Silver with Purple Rose and Vermillion and Basic Skin Tone to get the silky look and gave the head dress area a good 5 coats of it over 2 hours. I diluted the paint and gave it another 4 glazes to get the smooth finish that is glossy and even. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to cure properly before the STICKINESS goes away, so I turned my attention to the body.

From the above picture, you see the black dry brushed with white. I dried brushed this over with light blue to cover the whites and to some degrees, the blue. After I am done, I used the purple mixed up with some sunny skin tones to get in the shadows. I added 1:1 light skin tone to the blue to drybrush in the highlights and painted in the top part of folds to get the 3D effect. Then I added another part of light skin tone to this colour and with a 4X0 brush, the tips of the folds were highlighted.

Then I glaze it with diluted base coat light blue for about 5 coats to get the basic hues in place evenly. Next, to turn it turquoise, I used primary green, diluted to 20% and dry glazed over the cape evenly for about 7 coats to get to this point.

Finally, the cape is done.