Monday, March 24, 2014

1/32 Corsair Part Two

A week has lapsed and much work is done. painting and assembly of the engine. I decided to omit the wires as they are not visible when the cowling is covered. However, the engine itself with close to 100 parts is a challenge on its own.

Before that I made the tail sections, the ailerons, the flaps and the rudder movement assembly. Which I painted with Hull Red mixed with Rose Pink.This is one insitu on the trees and weathered by light tone drybrushing in 2 highlights and Tamiya Panel Line Brown Washes.


The the pink sections are assembled and touched up to the cut areas into the tail sections.


Silver chips are added last to increase the interest in the paintwork.

After the marriage of the engine to the fuselage, I notice the top and bottom cowling covers, which are meant to be detachable, are slightly too small for the engine, leaving a 0.5mm gap of both sides. Its not a big deal, as I filled up with Vallejo grey paint over 2 days by dabbing on some and wiping off the excess. Repeat after 12 hours for 4 times.

Engine is weathered and chipped with Silver paint on grey. Washed in black and brown washes. The whole engine is highlighted to give extra contrast as it will be in a dark shadowed part of the model.

Marriage of engine to fuselage. A bit tricky as the fit is quite difficult.



The top of the halves did not flush well on top and needed some work. I used putty in the form of Vallejo Grey over 2 days and 4 sessions to flush out the line gaps.


Here you can see the gaps being filled up. Next is more filing and sending using very light pressure and 400 grit, followed by smooth emery sticks from the neighbourhood girlie shops. The pink, white and grey type.

Finally, I am working on the wings. Its a challenge as it has 2 main options for up and down, so, I made some errors and needed to tear the wings apart and repair them and put them back together. This is time when I wished I lived in Japan where I can order from Tamiya spare trees B, C and M for to make new wings and junk the ones that went bad. Afte struggling till 4 am for 2 nights, I managed to scrape through without feeling that the parts are a let down. There are about 10 diagrams in the centimeter thick instructions that were confusing. With the small photoetched parts being the brunt of the difficulties. Finally, I must say, its all behind me right now without much problems left.